Tuesday 13 March 2012

Our New Shed

We did it. Me (Bodgit) and the other half (Leggit) managed to put our new storage shed together. It's been an epic paint and build, but we've got there. Gawd knows how people manage to build a 'proper' sized shed from scratch. I'm not bad at DIY, or at instruction reading. And I'm pretty good at interior flat pack furniture building. But this seemed a challenge to put together, even with a picture and text instruction sheet. One of the problems was the sheet had been photocopied, probably one too many times, so the pictures were practically blurred out. Especially the ones where the text instruction was a bit vague. This is where the bodge bit of the build comes in. We just did what we thought was the best solution to the bit we were stuck on. It probably wasn't the best solution, but it got the build moving again. And as it took us about 7 hours to complete this build, due to various hold ups, any solution to keep it moving was used. I may need to go over the shed again with some after-build fixes. Like sealing some of the gaps that are there from where even an electric screwdriver couldn't get the screws tight into the panels. And there's a couple of splits in the wood where some nails came through where they weren't expected.

Other than that though, it's a nice shed. It looks good from the outside. It's just the right size for what we need. It fits the space perfectly. I'm pretty pleased. It was a nice price too. Considering I've seen a very similar shed in the main high street stores and online shed sites for, at it's cheapest, £140. But that shed has only got 8mm panels, this shed has 12mm panels and was only £118 with free delivery. We also had a problem with the staple of the hasp and staple door catch being broken. One call to the supplier and we've got another one on it's way. No problems at all there. Very good customer service. So this is the shed - http://www.elbecgardenbuildings.co.uk/Storage/3x2-Shire-Shiplap-Tall-Store - although the one in the pic isn't actually what you get. The actual shed you get is this one - http://www.map-gardenfurnishings.co.uk/Public/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?product=00337&mid=36&desc=Shire+Handy+Store (this one is a particularly dear option, but it had the shortest link to add to this blog). As you can see from my pic of our finished shed, the 2nd link pic is the shed you get.

I forgot to mention something else I've picked up for the garden recently. I've been keeping an eye out for a raised bed for the veg bed. Just something to stop the grass path I've got round the top edge from encroaching onto it. This month I've had a go at tidying up the growth from winter and the grass was halfway across the bed. Anyway, I noticed on Homebase that they had reduced their 2 x 1 metre raised bed from £30 to £20. Perfect. That's the exact size of my veg bed. So we went along and picked one up. After a bit of swearing when trying to fit it in the car  (2m is just about the size of my car interior, the other half had to ride home in the back while the raised bed took up his front seat and all the way to the back of the boot), we got it home. They were all stacked up at Homebase in a big wet pile, so I tried to look along the length to find the straightest pack. Turns out it was still slightly warped when we put  it together (bare in mind if you get one of these that there are no pre-drilled holes, so you need a drill and an electric screwdriver might help get the screws in too). The gaps in the joints aren't too bad though, and it's doing the job that I wanted. It's got in built stakes in the corners so it hammers securely into the soil. Plus as it's pressure treated I don't need to treat it and I can keep is as bare wood which matches my trellis on the fences. I like that. This is the one (still reduced too) - http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=773453 - I should have mentioned it earlier though because they've just had a 15% weekend at Homesbase this last weekend. Nevermind. They'll soon have another one. They seem to be every other week.

The pots you can see next to the raised beds are the old potato bag compost from last year that I planted a pack of 50 bulbs that I got from Morrisons into. I think the bulbs cost me a fiver. Not too sure what's in them. I've had a few miniature daffs come up and open so far. There a lot of tulips on the way. Don't know what colours they'll be though. All part of the fun. I'll try and update as things open up.

No comments:

Post a Comment