Friday 5 August 2011

Walking in East Yorkshire - Canal Head, Pocklington





Ducklings at Canal Head





Bridlington, looking across to Flamborough Head


The other half has been holiday this week so we've been on a few days out. We went up to Bridlington on one day, I didn't take many pics up there though. Because it was heaving with people on the harbour and prom, we were mostly up in the town, or right down the far end of the beach, so I thought I'd leave the Brid blog until later in the year, when we'll go up there again, and the views will be less cluttered, so to speak. I did take one pic from the park above the North Beach which looks across to Sewerby Hall, and on to Flamborough Head.





Clay Pigeon Shooting

We went to Hornsea on another day, same thing, heaving. Which is good for the businesses that are seasonal. The reason we went to Hornsea though was because it was a combined trip to the Humberside Gun Club which is on the road out of Hornsea back to the A165. I'd got the other half a voucher for a Clay Pigeon shoot for Christmas and he'd decided to book it for this week. Luckily the weather was perfect. He ended up with a one-on-one lesson with the pro, which I was surprised at, I was expecting it to be a group thing. I was also expecting it to be a shoot from one position, trying to hit the clays coming from one angle. But he got to shoot at clays being released from about 5 different loaders, from about 3 different standing positions. He really enjoyed it.


Canal Head, Pocklington

On the hottest day of the week (about 27 degrees, and flippin' humid with it), we decided to go for a walk along Pocklington Canal. There were a lot of canals in the area I come from in the South, so I really like walking them. But, this was the first East Yorkshire canal walk for me.











Ducklings

We went to Canal Head which is just outside Pocklington on the A1079. There's a really nice picnic area there with picnic benches on a grassy border alongside the water. The canal is quite wide here, with a lot of ducks to be fed (if you've remembered to bring some bread for them). There were quite a lot of ducklings around too.



Red Admiral

Following the tow path away from the picnic area the canal becomes congested with plants. There is restoration work going on to get all the locks repaired and the work is about 3 locks away from Canal Head, so this bit of canal is a bit wild and wooly still. But, that means there is tons of wildlife around. The amount of butterflies was something else. Tons of Red Admirals, and I definitely saw a Peacock. There were a lot of brown and orange butterflies, possibly Gatekeepers, and a yellow one which was possibly a Brimstone. If I could have got pics of either of my possibles I would, but they were a bit lively and wouldn't stop still long enough for me to get the shot. The Red Admirals were very accomodating though.




Red Admiral






This is a shot of a Red Admiral with it's wings closed, which is actually just as colourful as when it's got it's wings open.

















Field Grasshopper?






And there were also a lot of Grasshoppers around in the grass by the tow path. They are very well camouflaged in there, but I managed to track this one and get a pic. I think it's a Field Grasshopper.














My mosaic dragonfly by the pond


Another pic I missed out on was getting a dragonfly. There were a lot of those flying up and down where the water was open on the canal. That reminds me, I nearly fainted the other day, we had a dragonfly flitting around above the garden. I didn't in a million years think we'd get a dragonfly in the garden. I had even made my own dragonfly to go next to the pond because I never thought I'd get a real one. This dragonfly didn't land in the garden, but knowing there are dragonflies around means there's probably another pond in the area, so my pond could get some more wildlife. Maybe.











Back to the canal. We only walked to the first bridge on the canal. I think it was a 4 mile-ish round trip, but my plan of being by water to cool down a hot day didn't really work. It was stilll bloomin' hot, so we turned round to go to the pub across the road from Canal Head, The Wellington Oak. Turns out that only opens in the evenings, just to warn you if you were planning a trip. But, I would recommend a visit to Canal Head for the wildlife. Just maybe not on the hottest day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment